Volunteer Training Program:
Spectra Community Support Services provides an intensive training program to all its volunteers.
Our training modules prepare volunteers to handle both incoming and outgoing calls for various programs through:
- Increasing volunteer knowledge and understanding of prevalent issues faced by many in our community, therefore developing greater social awareness
- Improving active listening and interpersonal communication skills
- Developing crisis intervention and suicide prevention skills
- Educating our volunteer on culture competence and diversity
- Developing patience and an empathetic approach to dealing with those in crisis
- Increasing personal comfort levels when interacting with those in crisis
- Keeping volunteers aware of current social trends, findings, theories, community needs and resources
If you would like to volunteer, please call us at (905) 459-8439, extension 2 for more information. Currently, we are looking for volunteers who speak English, Hindi, Urdu, Punjabi, Spanish, Portuguese, Cantonese and/or Mandarin.